Thursday, August 21, 2008

Should I or should I not?

We like to help someone or some people who need help, right? But do we think that we can really help them or we will just make the situation even worst?
Something happened to me and to my friends. Like what I wanted to do, two of them also wanted to help. So ,they did their thing. Since I also wanted to help them, I did help them but it seemed that I made the situation worst and I needed someone to help me also. I was scared. I bet the four of us were really scared about what happened. Thank God someone helped us and we were saved.
It was a bad experience and because of that experience I just realized something. If I don't have an assurance that I can help someone and the risk is too high, maybe I will not help anymore because I'm afraid that I will only worsen the situation. If it's a matter of life and death already, I think I will find someone who can really help. That was my realization right after the incident. I somehow felt guilty because I contributed something bad which I did not mean to do. But I also have another realization, I can't say that I will not help anymore because it's like a part of my system already that I must help someone who needs help. I still don't know what would I do if something like this might happen again. Should I help or should I not? My conscience is telling me to do the right thing which is to help but then when I help and I make the situation worst, my conscience is also haunting me. It's not my mission to make things worst. It's my goal to help.
Well, I guess we can't just control everything. There are some things that are not within our grasps anymore. There are things that are beyond our limitations already and whatever we do we just can't make it right.
Well, I'm sorry guys.

2 comments:

Dr. Jay SW said...

What's important is to help in a well-thought-out rather than a knee-jerk way. It's the difference between giving a dollar to a panhandler who's likely to spend it on crack and writing a check to a homeless shelter. Similarly, if a friend is trapped under a fallen tree, it might seem like a good idea to try to yank him out, but you'd probably be better off leaving him there and calling 911 so paramedics and somebody with a chainsaw can do it safely....

... said...

Yes you're right but there are some instances that we have to follow our instincts to help someone dear to us not thinking about the result. And then you will realize that you're not helping after all.